Suspended shipping to Barnes & Noble College bookstores
Dear Instructors and Students,
If your campus bookstore is a Barnes & Noble store, please be advised that Sundog Publishing is currently not accepting orders from those stores owing to what we view as an unreasonable requirement that their vendors utilize UPS Collect for all shipping of books.
There are five reasons why we view this requirement as unreasonable:
- UPS shipping costs are significantly higher than US Postal Service Media Mail service.
- No past book shipment to B&N stores via USPS Media Mail has ever been reported to us as lost or excessively late.
- We do not have regular UPS pickup at our facility, so shipping via UPS requires us to hand-deliver packages to a UPS Store several miles away.
- The nearest UPS store does not accept third-party billing, which B&N requires.
- Last but not least, no other vendor we deal with, large or small, has a similar requirement, and no other vendor has imposed hundreds of dollars in penalties on us for not using UPS!
If you have previously depended on your Barnes & Noble College bookstore for our textbooks, please see this page for other options. And please note in particular that these other other options can save your students money as well!
We hope to quickly negotiate an exemption from B&N’s shipping policy so that we can resume accepting orders from their stores.
In the meantime, we apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.
UPDATE April 21, 2012:
Despite two messages to Vendor Relations requesting an exemption from the UPS shipping requirement, we have received no response to that request after more a month and a half. We take the lack of response to mean that they do not intend to grant the exemption. We apologize in advance to those who will be inconvenienced by the inability to order our books through their Barnes and Noble College Bookstore in the usual way. Please see this page for other ordering options. And please feel free to contact your bookstore to express your dissatisfaction with B&N’s shipping policy. And of course please feel free to contact us as well.
UPDATE July 18, 2012:
We are pleased to report that we have finally been given an exemption on shipping, so orders from B&N College can now be filled again.